Being able to install an automatic garage door is a fairly easy job, but it is always preferable to consult the manufacturer’s instructions: Before starting with the installation, you will have to ensure that the door is properly lubricated and functioning correctly.
The weight of an automatic door is supported by springs, cables and pulleys (which, if not in good condition, do not allow to open it properly): I recommend not to alter or remove the springs of the door or the pulleys.
The doors with torsion springs (consisting only of a coil above the door) can only be installed by qualified technicians: in the following steps of the next practice and detailed guide, I will provide you with all the necessary instructions on how to install a automatic garage door.
First, the initial operations you have to do to begin work are as follows:
- Completely remove the wires or cables connected to the automatic door so that no obstruction is created during installation;
- Disable or remove the locks on the previous door (if present), in order not to cause damage to the opening device and to avoid any personal injury;
- Install the power unit at least “17.50 cm” from the floor;
- Adjust the manual disconnect cable to about “15.00 cm” from the floor, in order to be reached only by an adult person.
Thereafter, the procedure to be followed involves the following operations:
- Identify the center point of the automatic door and attach the header bracket to the upper part, using screws;
- Connect the clutch assembly to the same bracket with the power unit;
- Assemble the latter together with the steel angle and the supplied mounting belts;
- Fix the ceiling joists to the power unit, if they are parallel to the automatic door to be installed;
- Slide the trolley into the slot of the track and lock the belts;
- Fix the emergency release knob;
- Insert the arm-door and hold it in place with a pin;
- Stop the other arm by means of an axle;
- Overlap The arms of the door and anchor them using two bolts.
If necessary, you will also need to install a permanent electrical harness, always disconnect the power supply from the main switch box before starting the work.
The simple steps you have to do are as follows:
- Connect the power cord to an outlet with earthing, in order to avoid electric shock;
- Install the automatic door opening remote control to “12.50 cm” from the floor, so that small children cannot reach it;
- Precisely adjust the safety reversal system and the electrical sensor, always refer to the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
After installation, do not let small children use or play with the opening device: Therefore, I recommend that you store the transmitter in a safe place (such as the garage) and never pass under the automatic door when it is moving.
I recommend to operate the latter only when it is visible and free of obstacles, check the reverse system of the safety and the electrical sensor at least once a month (if necessary), periodically inspect the manual operation of the automatic door and never use it if the safety system does not work in a perfect way.
- When installing the automatic door, you do not have to wear rings, watches or loose clothing.
- To prevent damage to the automatic door, you will need to ensure that the safety reversal system is working properly.